This post is inspired by the MOT bloggers club initiative to write about analogies to testing in real life!
Being a tester at heart, I always see things from a testers eyes and find relevance in testing in my day-to-day life. In the past I have thought and spoken about Testing being like… Cooking and also used analogies of Testing equating to Travelling when explaining the Software Testing lifecycle in my Tester Bootcamps and trainings. Lately I have gotten into Yoga and I now see how Testing is like Yoga in many ways…….
- You can start anytime and anywhere you want, no matter your background.
- You can learn it yourself — Researching and Reading will help but Practice is key!
- You will learn better when you take help from a teacher / mentor / guru Or when you practice with a team
- Even though on the surface level, people may think of it as one skill, there are many types of testing, just like there are of Yoga
- Hatha Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga, Pranayama (Breathing exercises yoga), Pre-natal yoga and the fusion kind – Power Yoga
- The same way we have Functional testing, Performance testing, Usability testing, Security testing, Automated testing and so on
- You can dive into any one in-depth or have a taste of all of them!
- There is one for every team, context and need- you need to find the right match(es)
- Testing , like Yoga – is context-dependent
- Just like Yoga for weight loss may be different than Yoga for an expectant mother, Yoga for a beginner may be different from Yoga for an athlete recovering from an injury; so is the case of Testing.
- Testing for a medical application will be vastly different from Testing of a Car racing mobile game or testing for a banking website.
- The basics and the fundamental concepts remain the same and apply equally to all though!
- To a person looking from outside, it may not mean much in the beginning
- Like, to a person looking at you holding a Yoga pose – It may not seem like you are doing much. But to the one experiencing it, it make the world of a difference.
And finally, for both Testing and Yoga—
The value is not realized in one day or one session. It is a prolonged effort, requiring consistent practice, patience and persistence.
Overtime people who see the changes and experience the difference come to appreciate the real benefits —- of both Yoga and Testing!! 🙂 🙂
Hope you enjoyed my take on Testing is like ….. Challenge. Please share your thoughts too!
Here is the link to follow the MoT Blogger Club group for many more interesting takes on this Challenge
<Image Credits – WebMD.com , youtube.com >
One thought on “Testing is like…… Yoga”
[…] Testing is Like… YOGA […]